Header Ads

Movie Review: Clash of the Titans 3D, Not Worth Watching in 3D

I was so excited to watch Clash of the Titans that my girlfriend and I were at the movie house on its first day of showing in the Philippines. We even bought SM movie cards a week before that. However, I went out of the movie house unsatisfied.


I don’t want this Clash of the Titans movie review to reek of how it is a waste of money to watch Clash of the Titans in 3D so I want to say it and get over with it. If you have plans to watch Clash of the Titans in 3D, banish the thought. It’s not worth it. The images, especially the Kraken, did not pop out of the screen as I have hoped for. Watching Clash of the Titans in 3D is just the same as watching it in 2D. So why waste your money?

There. I’ve said it. Now on with the movie review.

Clash of the Titans Movie Review


Clash of the Titans 3D is the remake of a 1981 film of the same title. It follows Perseus who, though a demigod, chose to live like a man and fought the wrath of the gods as a man.

“If I do this, I do it as a man.” – Perseus (Sam Worthington)

Perseus (Sam Worthington) is a son of Zeus (Liam Neeson). He was brought up by a family of fishermen after being thrown into the sea to drown when he was just an infant. He saw how Hades (Ralph Fiennes) killed his family and that started his hatred to the gods. Even after he knew he was a demigod, he swore he will not be like them.


When Hades, the god of the underworld, came to exact revenge from his brother Zeus, Perseus lead adventure after adventure to stop him. Being a demigod still helped. And he got some presents from his daddy, though.

When I went out of the movie house, I was not amazed. I can tell it is a good movie, but I can feel that it’s lacking something.

It lacks a story of its own


Being based on Greek mythology, we can’t expect much about Clash of the Titans storyline. The story of Perseus should be solid or else this would be like the Percy Jackson movie, which only created another world around it.


Though the writers tried to shock the viewers by focusing on Io (Gemma Arterton) as Perseus’ love interest and bringing her back as a reward to Perseus, the plot has been predictable every step of the way.

The predictability is a disadvantage for the movie. It lacks the sense of suspense and mystery.

It lacks action sequences


A college friend pointed this out to me through Facebook. The scene with the Kraken was short of actions between Perseus and the gargantuan monster, which ended with the Kraken being turned into stone with Medusa’s head. It seemed Perseus didn’t really fight the Kraken, he just tricked it. We are wishing for some tentacles lashing at Perseus, and he will cut it into half.


This “Perseus didn’t really fight” idea is consistent in other parts of the movie. Perseus didn’t really fought Medusa (Natalia Vodianova), Draco (Mads Mikkelsen) distracted it so Perseus can look at Medusa’s reflection on the shield and prepare to lunge.

Perseus didn’t really fight the scorpions. The Djinn, a group of sand monsters, saved them.

When I read the book of Mythology by Edith Hamilton, I though it was lame to present the villains like Medusa as dumb creatures who can easily be tricked. It’s like a kiddie fairytale. Clash of the Titans joined that lameness.

The Good Points


I can’t deny, however, that the movie is a visual spectacle. I was holding my breath when the Kraken was released. It was so immense I am made to believe it is the climax of the movie.



My favorite parts in the movie are all the scenes where Io is present. She’s the most interesting character in this movie. She is in the fight scene with the scorpions, and even after she rolls in the sand, she doesn’t get scratches. This movie should be about her and not about Perseus.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.